ARTV 1351-Digital Video
Robert Flowers, Instructor
Your Choice or City Symphony (3-5 min) = 345 points
Present to me on paper an idea you would like to produce into a 3-5 minute video with sound and titles. The topics are wide open. For example you could create a documentary about your grandmother, interview a close friend or small business owner, or make a narrative about a group of people trapped in an elevator, etc.
Make sure that the project can be completed by the due date.
!DO NOT TURN YOUR PROJECT INTO A MUSIC VIDEO!
If you can not come up with an idea for a final project idea, you can do the one described below:
Create a video montage that depicts the city in which you live. e.g. Your street, neighborhood, local supermarket, gas stations, police stations, kids playing in a park, teams playing on a soccer field, water tower, road or building construction etc. Remember the two B&W Movie examples shown in class: Berlin, Symphony of a Great City and Man with a Movie Camera
Use juxtapositions, for example:
- Shot A: close-up of a lamp with a red light.
- Shot B: medium shot of man waiting for elevator door to open.
- Shot C: long shot of doors opening on the back of a trailer, and cows walk out.
- Shot D: man walks into grocery store
- Shot E: burger tossed off spatula
- Shot F: boy catching Frisbee
- Shot A: Close up of ear.
- Shot B: Audio Speaker
- Shot C: Couple on dance floor
- Shot A: woman running
- Shot B: dog swimming
- Shot C: A city park
A+B=C or A+B+C+D+E=F etc
• Build a rhythm, a “melody of pictures” using juxtapositions to create a video without “actors” that tells the story of where you live.
• DO NOT TURN YOUR PROJECT INTO A MUSIC VIDEO!
• DO NOT JUST SHOOT OUT THE CAR WINDOW!
• MAKE SURE YOU SET ASIDE TIME TO RENDER YOUR PROJECT to the video format described in the hand-out
• FINAL PROJECT 03 DUE, _____________________, NO EXCEPTIONS!
• Turn in Completed Project 03 in the DVD-Video format. (DVD-R preferred)
See here for the encode settings.